Charleston United Methodist Church Heritage & History
following is a brief chronological history of Charleston United Methodist
Church in Charleston, Missouri. This history was compiled from the old
records, from Annual Conference records, from Woodward's "Methodism in
Missouri and other church histories, from newspaper articles and
information given by "Old Timers" .
Membership Records are the delight of one who desires to know something
of the people of yesterday"
The recorded History of this church shows that John K. Lacey was
appointed pastor of Mathews Prairie (which later became Charleston),
part of the New Madrid Circuit and that Reverend Uriel Haw was
The first Methodist Meeting House was built on the land of Elizabeth
Smith, about 1 mile from Charleston.
Charleston, Missouri is laid out as a town.
The log Church on the Elizabeth Smith land burned.
Joseph and Elizabeth Moore deeded to the Methodists Block No. 7 of the
original town of Charleston. A 30 feet by 40 feet Church Frame was
built. For several years Circuit Court was held in the Church.
Charleston becomes head of the Charleston Circuit and a pastor was so
The frame church was torn down and a brick church was built on the
same lot and a parsonage was also constructed at the rear of the
church. Even though unfinished, the church was the site for the first
Annual Conference. The Church was 40 feet by 60 feet and during
the Civil War it was used as a hospital for the wounded and sick
On Christmas Eve, a fire originating in the parsonage destroys both
the church and home. Services were held in the Academy building
Charleston becomes a "Station" and receives the full service of a
Bishop Marvin dedicates a new church constructed on the same site and
was used for the next 35 years. A parsonage was built just south of
the church and later became the Masonic Hall.
The congregation purchased the lot on Main Street and laid the
cornerstone to the new church on December 12, 1905 with Reverend H.P.
Crowe and Reverend Marvin T. Haw officiating.
The church was
dedicated on September 30th, 1906 by Dr. W.B. Palmore, Editor of the
St. Louis Christian Advocate and famous World Traveler.
bought the property at the corner of Cypress and Matthews and a
parsonage was built.
house on the corner of Cypress and Matthews was moved and a
beautiful brick parsonage was built in it's place.
Due to a shortage of pastors and with full blessings from the Official
Board, the Charleston Pastor was given pastoral oversight of the
Churches of Wyatt, Anniston and Concord.
Planning and building committee created by Reverend William L. Meyer
and immediately approved plans for a much needed educational building.
building was completed and dedicated. The total evaluation of
the church property and parsonage was set at $250,000.
Sanctuary was renovated and dedicated on October 17th, 1971.
exterior of the church was completely changed by the enclosure of the
front porch forming a new entry.
program of sandblasting and tuck pointing began. Repair and
installation of protective coverings for the stained glass windows was
done. These repairs were completed in October 1980.
The board of Church Trustees approached the congregation for a
decision to build a new church which was approved. The new site
was located at 1700 East Marshall and was donated by the family of
George and Sam Story
first Sunday Services are held at the new church on March 1st, 1998.
Charleston United Methodist Church launches web site: www.umccharleston.org.